Wednesday, September 06, 2006

On Magazines*


Currently Amazon is having a sale on magazine subscriptions, which started me thinking about the gazillions of magazine subscriptions I've held through the years. Here is an incomplete list. Current subscriptions are in bold.

Ranger Rick (as a kid)
World (as a kid)
A/V Multimedia Video Producer (Siggraph freebie)
Computer Graphics World
Animation Magazine (should be known as "Animation Press Release Magazine")
Wired (always interesting, but I still never read it)
Time (rarely had time to read, and started getting news on the web instead)
Newsweek (Booo-ring)
U.S. News & World Report (freebie, cancelled when I found out it was Time for right wing apologist hacks)
World War II
Military History (consistently fascinating)
Popular Mechanics (written for fourth graders)
Popular Science
Entertainment Weekly (high school conversational cheat sheet)
Budget Travel (surprisingly useful)
Juxtapoz
Aviation History
Auto Week (freebie, not a bad way to spend 10 minutes)
Road & Track (the same crap as the other car mags, but with better photography)
Motor Trend (yawn)
Flying
Plane & Pilot
Automobile
Car & Driver
Sport Compact Car
The Atlantic
The New Yorker (brilliant, but I don't read it as often as I'd like to)
MacAddict
Mac Home Journal (back in the day!)
Air & Space
National Geographic Adventure

Obviously, I love magazines, and am unable to resist subscribing to them. The problem is that, since the internet has become my primary source of up-to-date information, I rarely read most of the magazines that I receive. However, I do relish the IDEA of having numerous fresh magazines around to read at any given moment, should the need arise.

So tonight I've taken the only logical action, and have just ordered subscriptions to Mental Floss, Smithsonian, and Military History.

Beats television.

* Update- Frighteningly, these magazine subscriptions are my twenty-sixth order from Amazon.com so far this year. Not items...orders.

No comments: